COWI has genuine experience in structural health monitoring. Various projects are completed in this field including design of structural health monitoring systems (SHMS) for new and existing structures and planning, installation, testing and trouble-shooting. Many complex structures require tailor-made solutions, and our experts provide key competences in the following areas:
- Emerging sensor technologies, especially with fibre optic sensor (FOS) technologies
- Design, procurement, installation and operation of advanced structural health mnitoring systems and their numerous components
- Structural dynamics, structural testing and environmental assessment within noise and vibration control
- SHM-based maintenance programming for a long service life.
Structural health monitoring system design
Structural health monitoring systems are designed to help the owner of a structure to:
- carry out design verifications for design, construction, testing and long-term performance
- review design loading and develop assessment loading
- provide current information on load conditions as well as the condition of structural components for effective bridge operation
- provide data for effective maintenance planning, optimisation and safety evaluation via fatigue, vibration, force redistribution and displacement monitoring.
The systems work as a trouble-shooting tool when it comes to unforeseen structural problems.
Integration with maintenance management systemsCOWI has developed state of the art methods for integrating structural health monitoring data with maintenance management systems based on a probabilistic approach. The outcome helps maintenance engineers to optimise maintenance plans based on a limited number of sensors in combination with visual inspection.