Home / Skip Navigation LinksNews & Media / News / Bridge, Tunnel and Marine Structures

COWI director appointed president for international organisation

Photo: COWI

​The international Joint Committee on Structural Safety (JCSS).

​As of January 2016, Inger Birgitte Kroon, Project Director Major Bridges International, is appointed president of the international Joint Committee on Structural Safety (JCSS).

With the position as president, the title comes with many opportunities for the area concerning Structural Safety. "I want to increase focus on structural related risk and reliability. This is my overall vision as president of JCSS," says Inger Birgitte Kroon.

With a constant search for the optimised solution, JCSS ensures that norms and codes are what society want. For example, JCSS has made the probabilistic model code forming the basis for the Eurocodes, which provide a simple, economic and safe way for the design of civil engineering structures.

Constant improvements of norm systems

Today's society has an increased focus on structural safety, and the bar is set high when it comes to major constructions. Therefore, JCSS works towards constant improvement of the norm systems and provide advice and guidance for risk and reliability analyses when it concerns state-of-the-art constructions like major bridges. The present construction norms, which COWI uses are generally optimised for more ordinary structures and are, therefore, not always suitable for major projects.

The aim is to optimise norms leading to cost-efficient design and structures. However, norms are primarily based on past practice, so improving the norms is a long-term process. Nevertheless, JCSS strives for optimised norms and, in this way, a cost-efficient design. In daily design work, COWI uses the codes to come up with the best solution for the client.

Besides helping COWI in everyday work, JCSS gives COWI the opportunity to become part of the excellent network, the committee provides. "The knowledgeable people in JCSS have given me a valuable insight which I wouldn't have missed. Being together with these excellent minds gives me and COWI a great benefit when it comes to our daily work, as it strengthens and supports COWI's specialist expertise", states Inger Birgitte Kroon. 
 

By Ida Friis
Published 26.01.2016

About JCSS

The JCSS works in the field of structural related risk and reliability, acting on behalf of the Liaison Committee of five international engineering associations (CIB, ECCS, fib, IABSE and RILEM). The committee's primary aim is to support the engineering associations of the Liaison Committee.

The committee was founded in 1971 and has since been a key player in creating norms that optimises structural safety in Europe. With the aim of finding the best solution, the JCSS provides the market with codes and norms that ease companies' daily work. JCSS consists of 43 members of whom 75 per cent are from Europe and the remaining 25 per cent from the rest of the world. Every member has a degree and/or an area of focus within structural safety. Potential members are recommended by existing members, which ensures the high technical level, so the committee can find the optimised solution.

At the six-monthly meetings, more than 250 papers on structural safety and related matters have been discussed. Several documents of general character and interest have been prepared and published. These documents provided the background for the preparation of guidance documents concerning the design and construction of different types of structures in various materials. In addition to the meetings, the committee arranges among other things workshops and special sessions at conferences to engage with other specialists and widen JCSS' view. Further, the committee arranges courses in Probabilistic Modelling and Risk Analysis in Engineering, the JCSS Probabilistic Model Code to enhance the understanding of risk and reliability among a wider group of people.

LAST UPDATED: 21.12.2016